Lets start this topic with this statement; don’t miss the party
because you worked too hard making it perfect
I remember one year when my husband and I were invited to a party by a couple that I had always thought as perfect.
The wife was very beautiful and always looked immaculate in her dress. She had 4 children but always seemed to have everything under control.
We arrived at the beautifully decorated home where the party was scheduled and invited into the house by the host. There were many happy couples chatting around a punch bowl and a beautiful buffet of food nearby.
But there was one thing missing, the hostess.
When I asked where she was the husband said she was sleeping…exhausted from the preparations for the party. She missed all the good times and never got to see the results of all her hard work.
The point here is stay focused on what is important you want to enjoy your party.
You may be a super productive dynamo with a ton of to do lists, and a stack of business responsibility and then the holiday’s right around the corner, which you want to enjoy so here are some ideas on how you can enjoy your life and the holidays.
Lets take a clue from Richard Burchard, founder of High Performance Academy
“People are remarkably bad at remembering long lists of goals. I learned this at a professional level when trying to get my high-end performance-coaching clients to stay on track; the longer their lists of to-dos and goals, the more overwhelmed and off-track they got. Clarity comes with simplicity”
4 tips on how to simplify
1) Slow down and let go of guilt about not being perfect
2) Start with taking me time to gather your energies. Try a simple 5-minuet meditation break
3) Put it on paper. Getting your to-do’s on paper frees up your mind. Make it fun by buying a special book. You can even give your book a name. Like Mary’s amazing check off list.
4) Categorize and prioritize (Think about the things you enjoy and do them-put the rest on the back burner)
- Figure out what you want to get done and keep it simple.
- Think about the things you really enjoy and do them-let go of as much of the rest as you can
- Its ok to leave out the bells and whistles
- Take a look at your motivation behind what you want to get done see if it matches your values
By doing some or all of these things your business and personal life will feel better and you will have become a deliberate creator.
A deliberate creator is someone who can enjoy the moment even if the house is not as decorated as you want for the holidays or your latest business goal is yet to be accomplished.
Being a deliberate creator shows your true character and will not only be a mood elevator but will help you gather to you more energy to accomplish your goals.
Once you are in a better mood about the holidays and your business you will be deliberately creating what you want and this puts you in the drivers seat.
- You might find someone calling you and asking what he or she can do to help you with your plans.
- You might feel inspired action to do things differently with a fantastic new outcome
- You might feel a calm come over you that you haven’t felt in years
The benefit from trying some of these nuggets far outweighs your usual overwhelm state of mind so become a deliberate creator and see your point of perspective change. Go for the adventure of creating.
You are always creating so why not do it deliberately and once you are in a better mood you will find focusing on one thing at a time more enjoyable.
Like an artist creating a work of art it is the process that they love to do as they work toward finishing their painting.
Focus on one thing at a time.
Feel your hands in the creative act of the wonder of creating.
Leave out the feelings of not good enough or lacks of any kind not only will you feel good but you will attract the spirit of Christmas where you will feel:
Giving and receiving
Expectancy of good things to come
In conclusion, it’s your life, your business, and your holiday celebration time. Ask yourself what you want to feel and work toward that feeling.
Yes it may take some practice but what do you have to lose.
If you fail or feel you can’t make changes it is just one more step toward finding a different path. You are always on the path of creating.
I love this quote by Penelope Cruz, actress as she talks about Hollywood
and how she feels about creating
“The thing that really makes me happy is the real work and rehearsing and creating the character and the process of making the movie. Hollywood is not real.”
Make your own movie and remember it is the creating and the real work that makes happiness possible with the right point of perspective.
And a good perspective that will bring you happiness is one of being in the moment with all the love, hope, and expectancy of good things to come that you could ever dream about.